[Fwd: Re: [L-I] Query Re: "Support the Troops -- Bring Them Home"]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 24 18:33:48 PST 2003

Odd that I should have not connected this topic with the slogan that the SWP popularized: "Bring the troops home now." That slogan caught on _outside_ the 'reach' of SWP influence because it was a good way to say "Surrender now!" The SANE slogan mentioned below, "Negotiate Now," was/is just one of the many ways in which people avoid coming fully into awareness of what it means to demand that a war end. Of course that slogan could also hide the hope and/or expectation that "negotiations" would just be another way of (the U.S.) "winning" the war. Hence it or similar demands were made by those who fundamentally supported U.S. war aims but didn't want to be so crude about it. "Bring the troops home now" cut through all that bullshit, and though I never liked the SWP, they did in pushing that slogan provide a valuable service to the anti-war effort. Once that viewpoint became dominant, one no longer had to fumble around answering the idiotic question, "But what do _you_ think 'we' should do?"

Waving flags and saying "support the troops," etc. are only temporary crutches because they don't influence anyone, except the people who are doing the waving or chanting the slogan: it makes them feel more comfortable. I simply don't believe that anyone ever changed from supporting the war to to opposing it because a demonstrator waved a flag. And in even the short run, a slogan or symbol designed only to make one feel more comfortable (that is, to conceal from oneself the real thrust of one's position) doesn't build much spirit or influence many people.

We oppose this war because we oppose the war aims of the U.S., correct?

Carrol

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [L-I] Query Re: "Support the Troops -- Bring Them Home" Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:13:36 -0800 (PST) From: John Catalinotto <johnottocat at yahoo.com> Reply-To: leninist-international at lists.econ.utah.edu To: leninist-international at lists.econ.utah.edu

Early in the anti-Vietnam war movement (1964-65), Youth Against War and Fascism raised the slogan "Bring the GIs home now!" It contended successfully with "Negotiate Now" at a SANE-organized demonstration in Washington on Thanksgiving weekend, 1965. Another favorite was "Big firms get rich, GIs die." Later, the SWP used "Bring the troops home" with and without the now, as I remember, but maybe someone who was with them then can comment. It was always a natural response to "Well, we have to support the troops, don't we?" I was organizing troops against the war then, in the American Servicemen's Union, so it always seemed obvious.