Goldman Sachs on Iraq

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 25 09:16:39 PST 2003

Goldman Sachs wrote in yesterday's daily economic commentary:

>Iraqi troops and citizens are not embracing the coalition
>forces as liberators to the extent hoped. This means that
>imposition of democracy in Iraq is likely to be more difficult
>and that US efforts will provoke greater resentment than hoped.
>We have no doubts that the coalition forces will be victorious.
>However, difficulties in securing the peace could have a number
>of negative implications for the economic outlook.

Gotta love "the imposition of democracy." But these high priests of bourgeois thought are quite worried - and, like Business Week, quite concerned about having alienated most of the rest of the world. (BW wrote in its March 31 issue: "The danger is that current global resentment of American 'hyperpower' could isolate the U.S." That was clearly written when the hyperpower was having better days.)

Doug