Popular Uprising In Basra?

Dan Epstein dseps at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 11:21:05 PST 2003

Let me get this straight. British troops bombard Basra and "military intelligence" claims that Iraqi troops are to blame for the inevitable carnage.

Here are the key paragraphs from the story:

"According to military intelligence officials, Iraqi troops in the city have turned mortar fire on their own civilians in an attempt to crush the unrest.

"Journalist Richard Gaisford, who is with the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards just outside Basra, says the British troops are bombarding the mortar positions in an effort to support the uprising."

story at: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2886235.stm>.

Dan