Blair does "I'm cutting your head" routine from Kids in the Hall

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Tue Mar 25 13:20:35 PST 2003

Reuters, March 25: British prime minister Tony Blair surprised Labour Party MPs and journalists by making a scissors motion with thumb and forefinger in the direction of former House of Commons leader Robin Cook and muttering "I'm cutting your head! I'm cutting your head!" in a high-pitched, rasping voice.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20030325/thumb.sge.oka48.25030321000 2.photo00.default-384x281.jpg

"We haven't cut off the heads of dissenters in this country since the days of the Star Chamber," a visibly shaken Cook complained to reporters.

Blair later explained that his gesture had been meant satirically.

"I take it that Mr. Cook has never seen that fine American television show, 'The Kids in the Hall'."

"In one particular comedic sketch, a man goes about peering at persons at random between his extended thumb and forefinger, and pinches them together while declaring, 'I'm cutting your head.' He does not actually cut anyone's head off or injure these persons in any way. I very much regret any anxiety the Honourable Member may have experienced."