Revolutionary Defeatism

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Tue Mar 25 16:08:18 PST 2003

Yoshie, I'm not sure exactly what you are driving at by posting an article by Lenin on revolutionary defeatism in the war between Russia and Germany / Austria-Hungary, because of course a Leninist position on a war between an imperialist power and a country which it is attempting to conquer and colonize is significantly different (and I know very well that I'm not saying anything you don't know, which is why I say I don't know exactly what you were thinking of).

You hardly even need to be a Leninist to realize that if the imperialist power in which you live is out trying to conquer and enslave some smaller, weaker, non-imperialist country, you try and prevent them from doing that, and you obstruct them from achieving their war aims however possible. Anyone who has seen "Dances with Wolves" can understand that.

The whole "revolutionary defeatism" dispute took place in the context of a war with a rival imperialist power which was big enough to significantly damage the Russian empire, maybe even conquer it completely. The question was, in THAT kind of situation should you carry on the struggle against the ruling class and its government unabated, and Lenin said, "Yes, you do."

The kind of defeat which Lenin was writing about in that article was the risk of having German troops march into Russia. Lenin said that even that would be the lesser evil. But in this case we aren't talking about Iraqi tanks driving into the United States somehow, we are just talking about US tanks and planes being obstructed from destroying and conquering in Iraq. You don't have to be very revolutionary even, to be for that kind of defeatism. In this war you can have "liberal defeatism" even.

LP