Elite Iraqi Guard Heads Toward Marines

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Mar 26 08:31:25 PST 2003

Kelley wrote:

> This si for all the reasons above. And, of course, they have all kinds
> of propaganda tactics that will clinch it for them. E.g., Not only
> will they lie about lost lives, they have in every single action we've
> engaged in in my lifetime, even if the lies indicate that thousands
> die, people are prepared for this. Not only are they prepared for it,
> the hardcore war mongers support the use of ground troops (higher
> troop death rates) than air war (low troop death rates)

I really beg to differ with Kelley's cynical assessment of US support for heavy casualties. The polls may say one thing, but we're talking here about Americans used to thinking of violence in video game and movie terms. The bodybags will start coming home and more and more Americans will now somebody who lost a loved one "fighting for nothing," as the father of a dead soldier in Baltimore put it. Many Americans are pissed off at the government. Lots of people will become opposed to the war. On the other hand, some Americans will just become more angry at the Iraqis. More bodybags will stiffen their resolve. Throw in some racism on the airwaves and you might be able to whip up support for the war.

I think the situation is too complex to support the idea that Americans will automatically put up with massive American casualities.

Chuck0