POW's

jbrown72073 at cs.com jbrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Mar 26 10:27:54 PST 2003

>>One thing we have made some progress on in this
>>country is racism.  Yeah, racism has worked for a longass time, but it's
>>nothing like it was, so we'll just keep kicking at it, right?

Kelley:
>your last sentence reads as if it's making some nasty assumptions about
>my thoughts here or maybe it's a typo. if it's the first case, what can i >say. i don't see where you need to make such an assumption.

I'm making two assumptions, I didn't think either of them were nasty: (1) we're both fighting racism and will continue to do so, and (2) since this country suffers under a suffocating blanket of racism, it's good to occasionally remind ourselves that we have made some progress on beating it back. This was in response to your suggestion that it has not been so effective to highlight the contradiction between racist paternalism and shooting the objects of that paternalism. I was trying to be encouraging, but I see I failed.

Jenny Brown