Newspapers

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Mar 26 12:43:43 PST 2003

I'm beginning to think the media who are really having a shining moment here are the newspapers. The FT, the WSJ, the Times have all had excellent reports and are getting better. The TV may now be able to give us live pictures, but they also give us live confusion and the knowledge that we are always only getting a tiny part of the mosaic. The papers, on the other hand, have used netowrk advances to increase their speed to the point where they can now give now give us Week in Review articles the next day, pulling all the details together. And all those papers are much more skeptical than any of the boardcasters. Even the embedded reporters. The WSJ article about the Shias not liking us was the product of embedded reporters and partners at home. The NYT article about biblical sandstorms was by an embedded reporter.

Michael