Hitch: Keep Our Nerve

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 13:05:04 PST 2003

Well, he's certainly right about this:

"In Kuwait, in Bosnia, in Kosovo, in Afghanistan... . it was necessary first to endure a lengthy period of apocalyptic warnings. If the democracies [sic] stuck up for themselves or others, there would be intensified chaos and misery, uncountable civilian casualties, intervention from other states to widen the war, legacies of bad blood, massive alienation, etc, etc.

You have read it and I have read it. The question is - do those who have written this tripe ever dare to go back and see how wrong they were last time?"

Nobody really knows what's going on in Iraq now. I know activists who made "apocalyptic warnings" in each of the above conflicts and, reminded now of their predictions, say, "Oh, but this is different" (which they also said about Afghanistan, Kosovo, etc.) It really is wearying.