Leninism in 2003 (was: Re: Revolutionary Defeatism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 26 16:02:44 PST 2003

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>Just out of curiosity, how do you intend to survive physically and
>>politically if conditions in the USA begin to resemble what
>>revolutionaries in the past had to, and in many poor nations still
>>have to, work under? There is no need to be alarmist and paranoid,
>>but we can't say that's never gonna happen, as the USA is at least
>>clearly heading into that direction. Anti-war protests in the USA
>>have been sometimes big enough to be encouraging, but protests
>>against immigrant detention, racial/ethnic/national profiling, the
>>USA Patriot Act, and other attacks on civil liberties have been
>>tiny and ineffective. What if, for instance, more terrorist
>>attacks are to happen on the mainland USA? What would Bush,
>>Ashcroft, Ridge, & Co. do? What would you do?
>
>No idea. How about you?
>
>Doug

If conditions in the USA begin to resemble what revolutionaries in the past had to, and in many poor nations still have to, work under, what you mistakenly think is peculiar to Leninism -- secrecy, for instance -- will likely become a condition of physical and political survival for all who want to remain politically active, unless you are planning on applying for political asylum in France (don't count on the French government for not rejecting or extraditing you).

Leftists in the USA -- unlike the US government -- don't have any contingency plan for Code Red. That's something to be worried about. We were unable to prevent the creation and growth of the world's largest police state, as far as the incarceration rate is concerned, even before 9.11. We have been unable to defend immigrants from post-9.11 attacks. We are unable to even protect Iraqi Americans -- naturalized citizens -- from the FBI. What is to be done, if and when things get much worse, either slowly or suddenly? -- Yoshie