Q&A

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 27 08:00:58 PST 2003

[a break from all the war news, this dispatch from the gender front, from NY Press's new sex advice columnist - this is her first real column - last week's was just a throat-clearing hello]

New York Press - March 26, 2003

Date Girl Judy Mcguire

Dear Dategirl,

I'm going to flat out tell you I am an asshole. I ain't proud of it. I'm trying not to be one. I'm learning to be "normal." Unfortunately, my friends and coworkers won't take me out of the box I put myself in. I'm not writing so I can cry on your shoulderI haven't become a wuss yet.

What I am writing you about is that an ex-girl of mine is engaged to a guy I consider a fag. She introduced us, we got to talking one-on-one, and I watched him in group settings, too. He's effeminate, has no muscle tone and probably no testosterone. He doesn't like sports or anything guyish. He doesn't want a bachelor party. (I've never heard of a guy going off the market who didn't want his last socially accepted irresponsible indiscretions.) My ex has a history of getting with men who aren't good for her one way or another. (She broke up with me because I had a drinking problem and was jealous of any guy who even looked at her.) I'm sober now and still packing a big phallic torch for her.

I want to confront the two of them, but I know how that'll end. I'll break the guy's nose, give him 27 stitches, my ex will pull a kitchen knife on me and I'll run toward jail time and a criminal record. My ex, all her friends, and even mine, will hate me.

I seem to be the only one objecting, though I haven't told anyone, just you. (One of her bridesmaids did tell me she wonders about the fiance too. I didn't prompt her - she told me this in the back seat.) Asshole or not, I can't just do nothing! I've got to stop this mistake. How should I go about it without ruining my ex's and my life?

Reforming Asshole

--

Wow. Smart and all man. I can't believe that foolish girl let you slip through her fingers!

I have to say, more than anything else you wrote, the thing that chapped me most was the whole "I'm an asshole" disclaimer. I'm gonna put out the eye of the next load who tries that one on me. It's as though any kind of noxious behavior you come up with can be excused because hell, we've been warned. Der. Be a grown-up. If you're a scumbag, then either quit it or go live a life of solitude elsewhere. Quit bothering womankind.

Approximately one million years ago I had an Aussie boyfriend who wore skirts and dyed his hair pinkeverybody thought he was a sister. But you know what? That boy was one of the most spectacular rides this girl has ever been on. I cried but hard the day he flew back to Sydney.

So you see, your gaydar is in need of a tune-up. You think this Mr. Fianc is nelly because he doesn't want to engage in public sex acts while twenty of his closest friends look on and beat off? He's a Friend of Dorothy because he'd rather not watch buff sweaty men chase a ball around and writhe around on top of each other? Waitwho's the queer here?

After putting up with your macho drunk ass for however long, I'm sure your ex was thrilled to meet someone who didn't open beer cans with his teeth or consider the lunchtime buffet at Pumps fine dining. But rest assured, you're dead wrong about his sexual proclivities. Guys like him are a rare breedthey're the few, the proud, the Culturally Gay Straight Boy. CGSBs make the best boyfriends because they'll dance to the Pet Shop Boys, have a keen sense of style and consider good grooming of paramount importance. They give great gifts, understand you're not being manipulative when you cry and can actually pick out clothes that look cute on you. You can take them anywhere and they'll get along fine because they also have excellent table manners and social skills. And then when you're done dancing, shopping and hanging out with your mom they'll take you home and fuck you senseless. Which brings me to my next point.

I'll bet you didn't think there was much going on between those two between the sheets, did you? Ha! Wrong. For whatever reason, CGSBs are frequently loads hornier than your average knuckle-dragger. In fact, I'll bet he's fucking her right now. CGSBs are also better in bed. Way better. Unlike you, he probably cares if she gets off. I'd guess he goes down on her (without being asked), knows where both her clitoris and g-spot are located and wouldn't dream of suggesting she get a boob job.

It's almost like CGSBs are gay from the waist up, straight from the waist down. In other words; the perfect man for a breeder broad. Your ex is a lucky damedon't worry about her with this guy. It's the closet cases a girl has to watch out for. Those creeps are frequently angry, violent, enjoy questionable activities (like sports and bachelor parties) and couldn't throw a decent fuck if their life depended on it. Why? Because they should be fucking other men, but they're too repressed to admit it. The truly ironic part is that most of the closet cases I've stumbled across are also violently homophobic. Sound familiar? Thought so.

There's nothing you could or should do to stop this wedding, so suck it up and keep yer yap shut.

Wanna know how to do the right thing? Write <dategirl at earthlink.net> or Dategirl, c/o New York Press, 333 7th Avenue, 14th fl., NY, NY 10001.