Tango, Solanas, Piazzolla, Re: LBO chess league....

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 27 16:51:38 PST 2003

>At 3:30 PM -0800 3/27/03, joanna bujes wrote:
>>I don't know about homegrown Marxists, but expat Marxists go for
>>tango! Have you ever seen _Tangos, l'exil de Gardel/Tangos, el
>>exilio de Gardel_ (Dir. Fernando E. Solanas, 1986), featuring music
>>by Astor Piazzolla (Cf. <http://www.piazzolla.org/centro/solanas/>)?
>
>Is the movie any good?

Ravishing. If you get a chance, check out _La Hora de los Hornos/The Hour of the Furnaces_, also directed by Solanas and his collaborators. I organized a public showing of _La Hora de los Hornos_ (on 16 mm) on February 13, 2003: <http://www.service.ohio-state.edu/students/sif/TheHouroftheFurnaces.pdf>. <<Es la hora de los hornos, y no se ha de ver más que la luz...>> (José Martí).

At 3:30 PM -0800 3/27/03, joanna bujes wrote:
>I dance it a couple of times a week and don't know what would happen
>if I didn't get to.

Now, watch out for men (and women) who are now busy composing offlist notes to you on the pretext of asking you about tango movies. ;->

At 3:30 PM -0800 3/27/03, joanna bujes wrote:
> I don't know about Tango and expat marxists, but I do know that it
>is THE music of exiles par excellence. It was created in the late
>nineteenth century by exiles from Africa, Spain, Turkey, Germany,
>Italy, and the Argentine pampas who were thrown together in the
>slums of Buenos Aires. It has the most amazing and infinite palette
>of moods, tempos, orchestration. Here in the bay area it seems to
>attract a lot of immigrants: most of the Latins go for salsa, but
>the Russians, Turks, and Iranians seem to wind up on the Tango floor.

Solanas himself experienced exile: "The military coup of 1976, which put an end to the constitutional regime, together with the physical annihilation of the guerrilla organisations and the Left, forced Solanas and other members of their group into exile. The 'Liberation Film Group' disbanded and never again returned to organised activity. Solanas found asylum in France. There he was forced to come to terms with the meaning of 'cultural exile' when it became clear that the European Left did not comprehend his Peronist Left identity. Only towards the end of his sojourn in France did he manage to procure the necessary financial support to enable him to direct a new film: 'Tangos: the Exile of Gardel' which was completed in 1985 in Argentina after democratic rule was reinstated" (Tzvi Tal, <http://www.tau.ac.il/~tzvi/ARTICLES/Solanas.htm>). -- Yoshie