UC Berkeley College of Environmental Design Students for Peace and Social Justice

alex lantsberg wideye at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 27 19:21:08 PST 2003

Planning, Landscape, and Architecture Students Seeking Info and Partners for Statement About Iraq We have drafted a statement of concern and are compiling fact sheets about various aspects of the war. See how you can join us and help.

Mar 27, 2003

Students for Peace and Social Justice is a newly formed group in the College of Environmental Design at the University of California, Berkeley. We have drafted a statement about the bombing in Iraq that draws on our professional and justice-oriented concerns and have created website for this statement and fact sheets. Already collaborating with professionals and students across the country, we hope that you will join on as well. Here is what you can do:

1. Sign on to our Statement of Conscience.

2. Apply your research skills to help us create fact sheets:

Help put together a fact sheet about the history of Iraq in relation to the current situation in the context of your professional concerns. If you don't have the time to organize a whole fact sheet, you can contribute by sending pertinent information on a topic to Annie at adecker at asis.com.

The 6 fact sheets:

*1. Physical infrastructure: sanitation; electricity; water supply; short- and long-term housing; refugee needs; transportation systems

*2. Social infrastructure: community and public institutions (schools, libraries, courts, parks, hospitals, social capital, democratic planning)

3. Cultural resources: heritage sites; archaeological relics; historic buildings

4. Environmental systems: (ecology/species protection/pollution/food production)

*5. Economic and regional development: economic development, regional instability, relationships with other countries

*6. Reconstruction Principles (e.g., "reconstruction priorities should be determined by the people living in Iraq")

****Topics with stars need an organizer! You also can help with any of the unstarred topics. Finally, let us know if you would like to take on a topic not listed. If you decide to help us, we will send you fact sheet guidelines.

Please email any questions to Sarah at cedforpeace at yahoo.com.

Related Link: Students for Peace and Social Justice

For more information contact:

Annie Decker Students for Peace and Social Justice

Berkeley CA U.S.