Arabs and Blacks in Detroit

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 20:09:47 PST 2003

Ann Arbor, which is 40-some miles west of Detroit, has a large Arab population as well, mostly Palestinian, but Iraqi too. The guys who own the package store where I buy my brew are Iraqi Catholics (a real minority in their home country) and naturally we've talked about the war. They really hate Saddam and the Ba'athists and want to see the regime overthrown. But not like this.

"You just want our oil," one said to me tonight. "Get rid of Saddam, fine. Then leave."

I said that ain't gonna happen, esp with Cheney and Halliburton waiting in the wings.

He shook his head. "Republican Guards are tougher than you think. They're very bad but they can fight." He looked up to the TV (which was on Fox News, of all nets) and saw US planes leaving aircraft carriers for bombing runs. "I don't know," he finally said, shrugging his shoulders. He seemed dejected.

"What about the Shi'as and the Kurds?" I asked.

"Shi'as are very bad," he replied instantly. "Kurds are better. They just want to be left alone."

I wanted to apologize for Americans being so fucking stupid about this, but it seemed pointless. What could I tell this guy who fled Saddam's tyranny and is watching the US working to take over his country?

I paid for my beer. He smiled. "Thanks for asking, buddy." I smiled back, then left.

DP