Falling perles

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Fri Mar 28 00:28:44 PST 2003

The stated excuse for Perle's resignation as the guru of arrogant cynical US unilateralism, is likely merely to be a relatively face-saving formula that allows him to cooperate in his resignation. What we have to see is how far he loses in prestige.

Perle lost many televised debates in the UK prior to the outbreak of war by his offensive manner and I would guess this resignation will mean he will get fewer invitations.

His fall also removes a layer of political safety around Rumsfeld.

Interesting timing in connection with the summit. The Brits are highly likely to have been interested in his demise. They could at least have suggested a resignation now would be the best way to bury bad news. But it is not totally impossible that his fall was one of the hidden conditions of the Bush Blair summit. I speculate, but it is within the scope of the conflict of political forces at the Camp David meeting.

Rejoice!

Chris Burford London