IRAQWAR.RU 3/27

westrich at miser.umass.edu westrich at miser.umass.edu
Fri Mar 28 07:58:10 PST 2003

Veterans groups report after meta-analysis of ongoing federal study that "excess mortality" for Gulf War vets was 350%. That is, Gulf War Vets were 3.5 times more likely to die in the time period studied (first few years after) from all causes than previous war(s) like Viet Nam. I do not think suicides play a huge role but more a variety of health concerns (respitory, cancer, heart disease, etc.).

There should be a Surgeon General's Warning on war.

http://www.gwvi.ncr.gov/ http://www.va.gov/resdev/pgrpt99.htm

Jim

Quoting Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>:

> Kelley wrote:
>
> >These are the casualties from GW1 btw:
> >

> >382 Killed in action
> >467 wounded
> >37 Killed in action but in non-battle capacity
> >1 missing in action
> >
> >1947 Killed outside battle theatre (jeep accidents, etc.)
>
> Are there good stats on how many GW1 veterans have died since? (suicide,
> etc.)

"Evil minds that plot destruction, sorcerers of death's construction. In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning."

--Ozzy Osbourne