Radio Doug

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Mar 28 13:56:14 PST 2003

Good Behind the News yesterday. But, jeez, Ellen Willis was exasperating. What gives? It's the military's job to kill, so we needn't get all "emotional" about the death toll of US foreign policy or the reasons for this. WTF?

And why the harping on independent judgements? I could be fooled into believing she thought that switching Washington's rationales for war with more palatable ones of our own would magically swap the war fought for the war as scripted on the laptops of Western liberals. It's not so much that she supported the war in Kosovo that gets me, but her "independent" rationales put forward on the radio show were in and of themselves distressing, *especially* for someone writing for a book on the dynamics of power in a global order.

George Orwell once said that a machine gun doesn't cease to be a machine gun because a "good" person pulls the trigger. Nor is a cruise missile any less lethal because a bleeding-heart sets it upon its mark, or claims to. There's a tenuous line between realism and power worship.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com