croaks from the frog of war (or how to dupe Joe Friday)

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Mar 28 13:56:23 PST 2003

Kelley wrote:
> "I tell you the truth so I can lie to you later." (Military
> advocate for using deceptive inforwar tactics with the
> press, speaking at an information warfare conference)
>
> As I said, it's the truth. I'm not saying it's NOT the
> truth. So, there's no need to prove it is the truth. What
> my objection was was this: you're reading it as if it
> "leaked" out, as if you're getting a glimpse of
> something "real" behind the frog of war [tm].
>
> In one of your articles in the Washpost, for instance,
> the reporter quotes soliders a couple of times. A
> solider is not allowed to talk to a reporter. He's is
> strictly forbidden to do so, even if he's currently
> stationed in Guam. She can only do so if she's allowed
> by Public Affairs. To speak to a reporter about
> conditions on the battlefood and lack of food or
> whatever would be revealing sensitive information
> that jeopardizes them.
>
> So, that reporter spoke to a soldier whose words were
> approved by a minder.
>
> It's the truth: truth for a reason. I'm not saying its
> deception. In fact, deception works best when it's
> based on truth. As you know, you just provided a good
> example of it last week when you did a soc of the
> media analysis.

fwd'd previously: "One of Jacques Lacan's outrageous statements is that, even if what a jealous husband claims about his wife (that she sleeps around with other men) is all true, his jealousy is still pathological; along the same lines, one could say that, even of most of the Nazi claims about the Jews were true (they exploit Germans, they seduce German girls...), their anti-Semitism would still be (and was) pathological - because it represses the true reason WHY the Nazis NEEDED anti-Semitism in order to sustain their ideological position. And the same should be said today, apropos of the US claim 'Saddam has weapons of mass destruction!' - even if this claim is true (and it probably is, at least to some degree), it is still false with regard to the position from which it is enunciated."

-- Slavoj Zizek <http://www.lacan.com/iraq.htm>

What was that old line from a poem about truth told with bad intent??

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com