Even the French......

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Fri Mar 28 16:12:30 PST 2003

One might also observe that the U.S. armed forces pulled a pretty good fold job themselves in early 1942 against the Japanese. I don't suspect The Weekly Standard will be dredging that up any time soon . . . .

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Pollak [mailto:mpollak at panix.com] Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 3:59 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Even the French......

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, the conservative Weekly Standard was quoted:

Still not convinced? Consider the greatest military collapse of modern

times, the infamous French fold at the start of World War II. Germany

invaded France on May 10, 1940, didn't get to Paris until June 14

I suppose it would be gauche to point out that in those 6 weeks, the French lost 124,000 dead and 200,000 wounded -- more than the US lost in Korea and Vietnam combined. But somehow conservatives think our defeat in Vietnam was brave and what the French did was cowardly. It beggars belief.

Michael