croaks from the frog

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 28 16:47:29 PST 2003

>At 05:07 PM 03/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>>And the same should be said today,
>>apropos of the US claim 'Saddam has weapons of mass destruction!' - even
>>if this claim is true (and it probably is, at least to some degree), it
>>is still false with regard to the position from which it is enunciated."
>>
>>- -- Slavoj Zizek <http://www.lacan.com/iraq.htm>
>>
>>What was that old line from a poem about truth told with bad intent??
>>
>>- -- Shane
>
>Yeah. I remember throughout the 70's and 80's when they were busting
>those "corrupt" unions, I never thought for a minute that they were
>busting them BECAUSE they were corrupt. They were busting them
>because the ruling class were threatened by organized workers. The
>unions were more vulnerable because they were corrupt, but I mean
>it's not like they busted the corrupt unions and put unions that
>were not corrupt in their place. Jeez.
>
>Joanna

These two examples are cases of the USG using what may be true ("Saddam has weapons of mass destruction") and what is true (many unions are "corrupt") as pretexts for what it wants to do anyway (make war, bust unions). How are these examples related to the media coverage of Iraqi resistance, US political errors, military troubles, low morale of US/UK soldiers, etc.? In what way are they "the same"? -- Yoshie