Bad Politics -> Bad War Strategy -> Bad Logistics Re: Richard Perle resigns

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 29 10:17:45 PST 2003

At 5:46 AM -0500 3/29/03, Michael Pollak wrote:
> > The Iraqis are smartly attacking the supply lines -- the longest supply
>> lines in American history.
>
>What's unprecedented is not their length, give or take a few miles.
>What's unprecedented is that they run along a string of cities that we've
>bypassed rather than subdue. That's what departs drastically from normal
>military strategy

In other words, Bad Politics -> Bad War Strategy -> Bad Logistics.

Bad Politics: Bush, Rumsfeld, & Co. thought that taking out Saddam Hussein and a few top Baath Party leaders in Baghdad was all it would take to win the war, believing that the rank and file Baath Party members wouldn't fight on their own and that the rest of Iraqis -- especially in the South -- would welcome Americans as liberators. Apparently, they believed in their own propaganda about the character of Hussein and the Baath Party, the nature of one-party dictatorship, and the sentiments of the Iraqis.

Bad War Strategy: Bad Politics led them to think that they could bypass cities in the South, rather than subdue them.

Bad Logistics: Bad Politics and Bad War Strategy left the longest supply lines poorly defended, with an insufficient number of boots on the ground. -- Yoshie