Radio Doug

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 29 11:34:22 PST 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

>I have yet to see anyone explain a social event in terms of
>pscycho-social factors without reaching the same conclusions that he/she
>would have reached _not_ invoking psycho-social factors.

Oh, let's see. How about race in America - e.g. white anxiety over allegedly ravenous black sexual appetites, white jealousy of alleged black sexual license? Or how about male anxiety over female sexual freedom? For proof texts, pick up George Gilder's early books on race and sex - or see how they ripened into his later work on welfare, which mixes all the ingredients into a toxic cocktail.

And I'll add that it's, um, interesting that someone who so frequently talks about his long battle with severe depression is so hostile to any kind of psychoanalysis or even introspection. Much more comforting to blame biochemistry; otherwise, you never know what you might find within.

Doug