Explananda Re: Psycho-sexual explanation

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 15:38:55 PST 2003

> "Psycho-sexual" matters -- feelings about abortion, feelings about
poor women's fertility in debates on social welfare, etc. -- are explananda, not explanans, as far as research useful for political organizing on the left is concerned. --

Learn to read Yoshie. I was offering those feelings, etc. as explananda. But the explanans might be a psycho-sexual theory that explains them. It does't have to be economic. These phenomena might be explained by,a s Liker suggests in the case of anti-abortion commitments, deep-seated commitments to certain conceptions of motherhood. Class plays a role in these stories, but a mediated one and in some cases a subordinate one. I'm a historical materialist, but I don't think the bottom line of everything is the bottom line. jks