Radio Doug

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Sat Mar 29 15:59:36 PST 2003

At 05:58 PM 03/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >And I'll add that it's, um, interesting that someone who so
> >frequently talks about his long battle with severe depression is so
> >hostile to any kind of psychoanalysis or even introspection. Much
> >more comforting to blame biochemistry; otherwise, you never know
> >what you might find within.
>
>You can't manage a chronic illness, be it a "mental" illness or
>otherwise, by blaming yourself. Especially if you are clinically
>depressed, that's probably the last thing that you should do.
>- --

Ugh, Yoshie, how is "psychoanalysis" or "introspection" a form of "blaming yourself"? Doug's reply bothered me only to the extent that he minimizes the incredible difficulty, the pain and labor of introspection -- of facing what seems at first an endless and endlessly painful emptyness. I would hesitate to call anyone a wimp for avoiding it. I spent three years on the couch but it was not the result of valor or superior character; it was the result of the fact that my life had become an unrelenting panic attack and that I was in agonizing physical pain 24/7....with a newborn to care for. It was suicide or introspection. That's how hard it is.

Honestly,

Joanna