Monster's Ball

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Mar 29 17:26:12 PST 2003

[my responses preceded by >>> ]

. . . --the black man to ve executed meets with his wife and son, and after is graphically electrocuted.(Nothing is ever said about why he is being electrocuted. The reason for the abstention is either 1) it doesn't matter, the death penalty is wrong absolutely or 2) it doesn't matter, he wound up in that position so he must have done something to deserve it. I think the movie makers thought they were doing 1...but as the movie progresses, you start to wonder. . . .

>>> another reason for the abstention is that it does not
matter for the story. there is nothing to suggest the DP is wrong, except perhaps the fact that the condemned is portrayed in a sympathetic light, and even less to suggest he had it coming.

. . . At this point, Billy Bob gives up his prison job and buys a gasoline station; Halle's life detriorates into a waitress job that doesn't pay enough for her to live on...so she gets evicted. Billy Bob starts an affair with Halle, buys her a car, names his gas station after her, invites her to move into his house, and puts his racist dad in a retirement home. At no point does he attempt to find her son's killer...that whole thread just kind of disappears.

>>> finding the culprit would be a dime-store resolution of what
is unimportant to the story. Realistically, it is pretty daunting for a private citizen in any case. Look at all the trouble OJ is having.

So, of course, one way to see this movie is: Middle aged racist white male has change of heart after death of son and "marries" the wife of black man he is responsible for killing. Racism is defeated; happy ending. (By this time you have forgotten the ugly obese black boy, having been treated to extensive footage of gorgeous Halle having sex with sensitive, potent Billy. The two points made here is that 1) Billy can fuck for a long time and 2) Billy is willing to go down on a woman.)

rotten lives. It takes a while to really drown. The happy ending is pretty qualified, since HB has discovered her new boyfriend executed her husband. It's something short of Sleepless in Seattle.

The other way to see this movie is: "Middle aged reformed racist white male can do a much better job of satisfying and supporting gorgeous/sexy black woman who just wants to "feel good." In fact, he can do such a good job that she is willing to forget about her husband and her child (both black males). It seemed to me, in short, an embarrassing white male fantasy that simply defied common sense. (If you think I'm wrong, ask yourself WHY her son has to be killed, other than the fact that her falling into her husband's killer's arms would simply NOT work./be credible if a kid was still around.)

>>> Story-wise, the son (as well as Billy Bob's relations) all have
to disappear so that all they end up with is each other. For white males who want fantasy, there is a lot of grimness in this movie to sit through for a hot three minutes.

If this movie had been made in the sixties, the resolution would have depended on Billy finding the child's killer. THAT would have expiated his killing the father and Billy would have earned his wings or rather place in

to earn his wings. They are each driven to the other by the wreckage each leave behind.

Halle's bed. But this movie had nothing to do with justice, the death penalty, or healing racism. Its high point consisted of some very hot sex during which Billy pointedly goes down on Halle, who pointedly has a very good time, after which he pointedly nuzzles up to DOUBLE CHECK that she has had a good time and that he didn't "hurt her"? (Hurt a woman during oral sex? HOW?) I mean, why not just get a sledgehammer and whack the viewer over the head a few times: LOOK viewer this racist slob is willing do "demean" himself by going down on a black woman and then is SO sensitive that he comes back up to check that she's OK....So, you see he's not racist, he's not a misogynist, he's the fucking GREAT WHITE HOPE.

>>> Sometimes a schtup is just a schtup.

So, that's why I thought it was racist. My nine-year old daughter just thought it was a bad movie. She liked the little black boy the best and didn't understand why he was made to disappear. Joanna