Hutton: Blair and the US hard right

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 30 08:24:21 PST 2003

>From: Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org>
>
>>The rise and rise of American conservatism is neither well documented nor
>>well understood in Britain
>
>http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,925856,00.html
>
>Will Hutton is a particularly interesting progressive liberal strategic
>political economist.
>
>Is his analysis of the American right correct?
>
>Chris Burford
>London

Will Hutton, IMO, is a horse's ass. I sent him the following a few minutes ago:

----- Original Message ----- From: Carl Remick To: will.hutton at observer.co.uk Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 11:11 AM Subject: US conservatism not understood in UK?

Dear Mr. Hutton,

Re your: "The rise and rise of American conservatism is neither well documented nor well understood in Britain."

A bit disingenuous, no? As I recall, you -- or rather Margaret Thatcher -- exported to the US the lunatic conservatism that now bedevils the world. The UK has been an initiator and enabler, aider and abettor, these many years, energetically contributing to America's reactionary devolution.

As chaplain of the New Imperialism, the unctuous Rt. Rev. Tony Blair has carried Britain's corruptive influence to a new level. From Kosovo to Iraq, Blair has merely given a higher moral gloss to the primitive policies Thatcher first made respectable and contributed plausibility to Bush's inchoate grunts and gestures.

All in all, for over a generation the UK has been obsessed with trying to breathe new life into the imperialistic tradition and made every effort to hijack the US military so Brits could to continue to swagger around as global cops just a mite longer.

Yes, the US is an evil menace these days, and a lot of the credit for that belongs to the UK.

Yours,

Carl Remick Huntington, New York USA

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus