Explananda Re: Psycho-sexual explanation

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Mar 30 20:06:43 PST 2003

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Luke Weiger wrote:

> Miles wrote:
> > Let's say I want to explain gender inequality via "psychosexual
> > factors"--male anxieties, unconscious resentment because men lack
> > wombs, fear of women's menstrual cycles, whatever. This is
> > neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for gender inequality
> > in a society.
>
> No--the psychological factors (just like the material ones) are a part of a
> set of conditions that are together sufficient to bring about gender
> inequality.
>
> -- Luke

No, the psychological factors are not necessary conditions. If simply by tradition people follow certain social norms (e.g., women can't own property), women will be economically subordinate to men. Gender inequality (or any inequality) can exist independent of any individual's psychological preferences, if social structure perpetuates the conditions of inequality.

Miles