"We had a great day. We killed a lot of people."

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Mon Mar 31 06:07:39 PST 2003

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/29/international/worldspecial/29HALT.html?pagewanted=print&position=top

March 29, 2003 Either Take a Shot or Take a Chance By DEXTER FILKINS

[...] "We had a great day," Sergeant Schrumpf said. "We killed a lot of people." [...] But more than once, Sergeant Schrumpf said, he faced a different choice: one Iraqi soldier standing among two or three civilians. He recalled one such incident, in which he and other men in his unit opened fire. He recalled watching one of the women standing near the Iraqi soldier go down.

"I'm sorry," the sergeant said. "But the chick was in the way."