Perle still touting short war

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Mar 31 06:51:27 PST 2003

Depends how you measure the war. If its end is measured as the displacement of Hussein from power and official control of Baghdad by the US, he could be right. But at that point, many anti-Hussein folks such as the Shia Islamistics could move to open revolt against the US Occupation-- so Gulf War II will give way to what will inevitably be labelled the Iraq Intifada.

But leftists jumping on the military's setbacks this week, based on Rumfeld's arrogance in deploying so few troops, will look as arrogant the other direction if they really think the Iraq military can formally resist once the 200,000+ troops headed for Baghdad are deployed.

Now, there will be inevitable arguments over whether the "war" is over with continuing guerilla resistance, but the left is silly to lower expectations for Bush. If we keep harping on the idea that US troops can't take Baghdad militarily, we'll just make him look correct when the military formally takes the city and remaining resistance is just dismissed as "terrorism" rather than military resistance.

--- Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: "lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 9:25 AM Subject: Perle still touting short war

Perle: Iraq War Could Be Shorter Than Gulf War Sun Mar 30, 2:31 PM ET

By David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Controversial Pentagon (news - web sites) adviser Richard Perle said on Sunday the Iraq (news - web sites) war could be shorter than the six-week Gulf War (news - web sites) in 1991, predicting again the conflict could be easier than it has so far turned out to be.

"The last Gulf War involved several weeks of bombing before the first ground forces touched Iraqi soil. I don't think it will be longer than that and maybe shorter," Perle said in an interview with CBC Television.

Perle, who resigned last week as chairman of the Pentagon's Defense Policy Board over alleged conflicts of interest, is seen as a leading architect of the Bush administration's drive to topple Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) in the face of global opposition.

An influential neoconservative voice in Washington, Perle has been criticized for underestimating the difficulty of defeating the Iraqi president.

"Support for Saddam, including within his military organization, will collapse after the first whiff of gunpowder," Perle said last July.

President Bush (news - web sites) and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld have warned since the conflict started that the war, now in its 11th day, could be long and difficult.

Rumsfeld, a friend of Perle's, has been criticized for committing too few troops to the battle that has resulted in overstretched supply lines and attacks in the rear of the advanced U.S.-British positions.

Perle said his earlier prediction that a major U.S. force in Iraq would not be necessary was made when he thought the war would be conducted on "an entirely different strategy."

But he insisted the war would still be short. "I think it will be a quick war, certainly by historical standards," he told CBC.

He also said he did not think the number of U.S. casualties would be high.

"It's not going to be tens of thousands and I hope it's not even thousands. I hope it's not in the high hundreds but I don't know, nobody knows."