Barron's on the Costs of War

Timothy Francis-Wright twright at ziplink.net
Mon Mar 31 18:11:52 PST 2003

And Reuters and Forbes on the opportunities...

Joanna Bujes wrote:

> Barron's gives the war 4-8 weeks before we swing into a more
> serious recession. Here's a snippet of what they emailed ALL
> their subscribers today:

> "What's War Good For?
> Already, the war is hurting the economy. If it drags on for
> more than 4-8 weeks, some economists say be prepared for a
> serious recession that's far worse than the last one. Barron's
> takes a closer look at the outlook for the economy and stocks
> - and the remaining unknowns."

> ...full story in tomorrow's edition. Finance capital does NOT
> like this war.

Now this is a coalition of the billing!

--tim f-w

http://www.forbes.com/business/newswire/2003/03/27/rtr922614.html

LONDON (Reuters, 27 March 2003) - The war in Iraq is still only days old, but already companies are positioning to grab contracts to rebuild the country.

Following are some European and Asian firms thought to stand a chance of receiving reconstruction work, although the U.S. procurement process may sideline non-U.S. groups:

* ABB -- The Swiss engineering firm could benefit from the reconstruction of Iraq through its energy transmission business....

* Adelaide Brighton -- Analysts have said the Australian government, a key U.S. ally, will want a role for the cement maker, ...

* Amec Plc -- The British engineering firm, which was involved in the reconstruction and cleanup of the World Trade Center and Pentagon after the September 2001 attacks ...

* Balfour Beatty -- The British construction and engineering firm, whose operations include ones in Dubai and Turkey, ...

* BHP Steel -- Analysts have said the Australian government, a key U.S. ally, will seek a role for the company, ...

* Bovis -- The unit of developer Australia's Lend Lease, which did the clearing work at the World Trade Center, is well positioned to rebuild hospitals and schools.

* Carillion Plc -- The firm, which maintains about a quarter of Britain's major roads and a fifth of its railways, ...

* Costain Group Plc -- On March 26, the UK builder said it was in talks with a series of U.S. companies ...

* China State Construction Engineering Corp -- An executive at the state-owned firm recently said destruction after war brings opportunities ... The firm is owed $500 million by Iraq for irrigation work after the Gulf War.

* D.G Khan Cement and Lucky Cement -- The Pakistani firms may vie for reconstruction work, but could find it hard to compete because Iran is much cheaper.

* Hyundai Engineering and Construction -- Korea's biggest building firm ... to make up for millions of dollars lost in unpaid work for the Iraqi government in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

* Impregilo -- Italy's biggest listed construction group specializing in large-scale construction projects, has said it would consider participating ...

* Interserve Plc -- Clients of the British firm, whose businesses include scaffolding hire to facilities management, include the British prison service, Thames Water and Barclays Bank....

* Lafarge -- The French building materials maker already has an extensive presence in the Middle East ...

* MAN AG -- Rudolf Rupprecht, the German trucks and engineering giant's chief executive, said on Tuesday that ... he expected the United States to try to reserve the work for itself.

* Renault and PSA Peugeot -- Analysts reckon that the two French automakers will aim to sell trucks, tractors and ambulances ...

* Saint-Gobain -- Analysts have said that the French building materials maker could benefit ...

* Siemens AG -- Analysts are betting that the German electronics and engineering giant ...

* TotalFinaElf -- French Finance Minister Francis Mer said on Sunday that the oil giant could have a role ...

* Vinci -- A representative of the French road builder and operator said on Tuesday ... if there ever is an international call for bids it may be interested.

* Weir Group Plc -- On March 19, the British pumps and engineering services firm said ... that the issue of repairing war damage had been discussed with the UK government.