Daschle eats his words, and then some

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Mar 31 22:13:17 PST 2003

Jenny wrote:
> Nathan, most people don't vote. If they had something to vote for, they
> might do so.

There's very little in the way of evidence to suggest that significant numbers of non-voters would turn out if only "they had something to vote for."

> The Democrats continue to make sure that that doesn't happen by
> being so tepid, rhetorically and actually, not because they lack moral
fiber,
> but because they are beholden to corporate cash and because the Democratic
> party has less discipline than a three year-old's birthday party.

Was the party significantly less beholden to corporate cash when most Democratic senators voted against the first Gulf War?

> Whyn'cha start selecting candidates by convention, rather than by primary?

Because that would be less democratic? Working at the grassroots to help progressives win primaries seems like a better option to me. (Not to say that your proposal might not turn out to be the best on balance... I haven't thought about it enough.)

-- Luke