[lbo-talk] Fwd: Letter: No Human Rights in Cuba

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 1 14:48:57 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> >Dear Editor:
> >
> > As the
> >recent executions of three men who hijacked a ferryboat to flee Cuba
> >demonstrate, Cubans don't even have the right to *leave* the country.
[clip]
> >David Holcberg
> >Ayn Rand Institute

I wonder if those who make comments like this are usually merely lying or really don't know that anyone can leave Cuba for the U.S. who has a U.S. visa -- and that the barrier is not Cuba but the refusal of the U.S. to issue visas. It made an agreement to issue about 20,000 a year; its failure to honor that agreement is the main if not the only cause of the hijackings.

Carrol