[lbo-talk] The roots of the British suicide bombers

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Thu May 1 23:45:08 PDT 2003

Fuad Nahdi Friday May 2, 2003 The Guardian

"The combined forces of racial discrimination and Islamophobia have been awesome in the marginalisation and alienation of the community. As a result few, particularly young people, feel they have any viable stake in society. To add to all this is the chaos and confusion that is all-pervasive throughout the Muslim world - traumatised by colonialism, raped by "independence". If we are to understand what is going on we need to scrape away the layers of rhetoric and euphemism, put to one side events of 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq, and come to the running sore of Palestine. The western conscience, troubled by anti-semitism, is reluctant to look too critically at Israeli behaviour towards a colonised Muslim population ..."

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,947989,00.html