[lbo-talk] Re: Patriotic parody....

Will Thurber wthurber at taro.bus.BrockU.CA
Fri May 2 04:43:57 PDT 2003

Shortly after 9-11, I walked into a Wal-Mart store in Niagara Falls, NY to be greeted by a table full of patriotic items. (Candles, flags, etc.) My instance reaction to this was "Those bastards! How dare they try to make a buck by exploiting peoples grief!"

Upon further reflection however I realized that those items would provide comfort to many people. And it would be wrong to demand that the makers and distributors of these products not receive fair compensation for their efforts. In that light, not only did I accept the display, my respect for the Wal-Mart organization increased, because they had identified a need to reduce suffering and were endeavoring to fill that need.

Now maybe I am just rationalizing on behalf of my marketing colleagues, but if so it is not a conscious choice.

--Will