[lbo-talk] Re: who is jewish

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri May 2 08:46:03 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 5:09 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: who is jewish

> Mike Ballard wrote:
> >
> > Who is German? Who is Christian? Who is Hindu?
> > Who is Black? Who is White? Who is human?
> >
> > An old lefty once said to me, "There's only one race,
> > the human race."
> >
> > I think he was on to something there.
> >
> > Tracing my lineage to Lucy,
> > Mike B)
> >

> Yes, that is true. But unfortunately irrelevant. "Race" exists as a
> social and political fact of tragic importance, and proofs that it is
> _not_ a biological fact fail to touch its social/political substance or
> the ideologies of racism.
>
> Carrol

It's not irrelevant. It just goes to show how much cultural work needs to be done in order create a world where biological facts trump and render extinct the performativity/facticity of harmful social superstitions. To say the use of biological facts cannot trump social prejudices and superstitions is refuted by the history of medicine and the inroads evolutionary theory has made thus far on societies. To be sure, science is not sufficient, but it is vitally necessary for defeating race talk/behavior.

Ian