[lbo-talk] Re: outsourcing BS production

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 2 15:55:27 PDT 2003

joanna bujes wrote:

> At 09:26 PM 05/01/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >NEW YORK, May 1 (Reuters) - Wall Street research analysts have
> >suffered rounds of layoffs, big pay cuts, and accusations that they
> >routinely lied to the investing public. Now there's a new worry --
> >that their jobs are being shipped overseas.
>
> Well, this might be the turning point...this might actually drive a number
> of people to the realization that they are not middle class, but working
> class. Duh.

I would hope that would be the result, but a more likely result is for them to feel that they _were_ middle class and have been driven out of it by some kind of plot someplace or other. Of course the fact that A majority of leftists, even marxist leftists, will cling to "middle class" as a significant concept doesn't help.

But actually, I would like to see an analysis of _why_ the Wall Street firms are driven to such a policy. "Greed" is not really a marxist category; what needs to be explained is what _drives_ the "greed" in this case. What are the forces in current u.s. capitalism that are driving the intensity of this campaign against the working class -- and now against the most "privileged" sectors of that class, sectors that were devoted servants of their masters?

Carrol