[lbo-talk] human rights abuses in Cuba...

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri May 2 19:26:56 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 6:00 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] human rights abuses in Cuba...

> On Fri, 2 May 2003, Ian Murray wrote:
>
> > Did the White House formally declare war on Iraq? I don't remember
> > seeing anything in the Federal Register under Presidential Documents
or
> > anything remotely similar. Did I miss it?
>
> Not in the sense of an official declaration of war. We rarely make them
> because it's Congress that has ot do it that cramps the executive style.

=====================

And Congress delegated away an authority it is not authorized to delegate away under the C., no? Justin?

> However Bush did go on TV and give Saddam a 48 hour deadline after
which,
> he announced, hostilities would begin. (All the bombing that had taken
> place in the preceding month was unofficial.)

So 'we' went from fuzzy logic to fuzzy math to fuzzy legality in less than a century.

> The laws about what has to happen once hostilities are over are part of
> the Geneva convention rather than US law. Which we pay enormous homage
> in form while continually worming out of it in substance. Which is
> exactly what we are doing here.
>
> Michael

So the fuzzy paradigm [I'm not kidding on this one] has fully displaced the form-substance binary of the Aristotelian-Cicero-ean paradigm of the logic of law as applied to warfare as expressed in your second sentence..........

Ian