[lbo-talk] Banned in Boston

Jim Westrich James.Westrich at umassmed.edu
Sat May 3 05:02:13 PDT 2003

Yes, blashphemy is illegal in Massachusetts.

"Chapter 272: Section 36. Blasphemy.

"Section 36. Whoever willfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior."

The last person prosecuted was pantheist Abner Kneeland in 1838. I believe it was the last state blashpemy case prosectued. The rest have been federal.

http://members.tripod.com/~candst/caselist.htm

The Great Turtle Goddess be praised!

Jim

"God so loved the world that He sent His Son to be its Savior; the Greatest Story of Nepotism ever told!"