[lbo-talk] Declaration of War

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Sat May 3 08:02:27 PDT 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003 03:46:57 -0400 (EDT), Michael Pollak wrote:

<snip>

> BTW, while we're on the subject, I seem to remember that someone ringingly
> claimed during the constitutional debates that the purpose of the
> Declaration of War clause was to prevent any future president from going
> to war the way past kings did simply for "glory or revenge." (Which is not
> a bad description of why we went to war this time. Too bad the DoW clause
> wasn't alive to stop it.) Does anyone recognize that phrase and know where
> it comes from?

see federalist 4:

It is too true, however disgraceful it may be to human nature, that nations in general will make war whenever they have a prospect of getting anything by it; nay, that absolute monarchs will often make war when their nations are to get nothing by it, but for purposes and objects merely personal, such as a thirst for military glory, revenge for personal affronts, ambition, or private compacts to aggrandize or support their particular families or partisans. These and a variety of other motives, which affect only the mind of the sovereign, often leads him to engage in wars not sanctified by justice or the voice and interests of his people.

and anti-federalist 23: The European governments are almost all of them framed, and administered with a view to arms, and war, as that in which their chief glory consists. They mistake the end of government. It was designed to save men's lives, not to destroy them. We ought to furnish the world with an example of a great people, who in their civil institutions hold chiefly in view, the attainment of virtue, and happiness among ourselves. Let the monarchs in Europe share among them the glory of depopulating countries, and butchering thousands of their innocent citizens, to revenge private quarrels, or to punish an insult offered to a wife, a mistress, or a favorite. I envy them not the honor, and I pray heaven this country may never be ambitious of it.

there's probably more on this, but those are pretty close to the mark. i haven't gone through the constitutional debates, but i imagine the first is the nearest thing to a source. both are especially concerned that monarchs/chief executives will make war against the best interests of their people.