[lbo-talk] Tim Shorrock on growing up missionary

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun May 4 02:52:40 PDT 2003

Many lbo-ers know Tim Shorrock. He's an excellent left journalist who specializes in Asian issues. His recent article in the Nation on Wolfowitz's career in Asia was posed last week (and I highly recommend it). He was also an lbo-talker for a while, and a regular on Doug's show, so some of us came to know that he grew up in Asia because his parents were missionaries there. Which, at least for me, always left a half-formed question of how exactly two missionary parents gave birth to him.

Well now he's written a great answer to that question, a biographical piece on missionaries in Japan in general and his parents in particular. It's longish but if, like me, you were curious, it's very satisfying. Afterwards the whole thing makes perfect sense. And there's cute pictures of him as a kid. Although frankly his mother is cuter.

Appropriately, he's posted it on a site run by people who are critically interested in religion called

http://www.killingthebuddha.com/

Michael