[lbo-talk] Suicide bombers

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun May 4 07:47:16 PDT 2003

On Sun, 4 May 2003 11:29:34 +0100 James Heartfield <Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk> writes:
> The WEEK
> ending 4 May 2003
>
> TESTING PILGRIMAGES IN THE HOLY LAND
>
> Two Pakistanis from Derby in England, Mohammed Hanif and Sharif
> Khan,
> went as human bombs to Israel - the first killed himself and three
> Israelis, the second is still on the run after his bomb failed. In
> Britain there has been media soul-searching over the unprecedented
> recruitment of British Muslims as Palestinian suicide-bombers. But
> the
> truth is that there is nothing unprecedented about westerners
> traveling
> to the Holy Land to test their consciences. Indeed Palestine, and
> the
> Middle East in general, suffer from an overload of people on a
> modern
> pilgrimage to discover the true measure of their belief.

But don't you think that there is a significant difference between people like T.E. Lawrence, St. John Philby, or even Tony Blair and folk like the late Rachel Corrie or the suicide bombers from Derby. The first group of people might have been interested in testing their consciences in the Middle East but they did so in the service of British imperialism, whereas the latter group of people were concerned with combatting imperialism and colonialism. Yes, both the oppressors and the oppressed might be united in the attempt at testing their own consciences but it is that distinction between the two groups, in terms of either fighting to preserve a system of exploitation or oppression on the one hand versus another group that is attempting to overthrow that very oppressive system, that seems of paramount importance here.

After all taking the American Civil War as an example, one could just as well say that both the abolitionists who signed up with the Union Army and Southerners like General "Stonewall" Jackson who lead the Confederate Army, were both driven to test their consciences on the battlefield. And that was certainly the case for both of these groups. Nevertheless, the distinction that we draw between the first group which fought in the war to destroy slavery, and the second group which fought to preserve the "Southern way of life" which just so happened to include slavery, would seem to be of greater importance for understanding the war.

Jim F.