[lbo-talk] Race ( who is jewish)

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sun May 4 13:07:12 PDT 2003

> In an after-class discussion some years ago I carefully pointed out to a
> student that race was an invalid biological concept. He agreed. But his
> last words as we left the classroom to go our separate ways was, but
> there are cultural differences, aren't there (or something like that).
>
> In other words, he had accepted the scientific disproof, without it
> causing even the mildest disocrd in his racist thinking.
>
> Carrol

"Differentialist Racism: It is a racism whose dominant theme is not biological hereditary but the insurmountability of cultural differences, a racism which, at first sight, does not postulate the superiority of certain groups or peoples in relation to others but 'only' the harmfullness of abolishing frontiers, the incompatibility of life-styles and traditions." (Étienne Balibar in "Race, Nation, Class -- Ambiguous Identities" )