[lbo-talk] Straussian moralist as high rolling gamber

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun May 4 20:51:40 PDT 2003

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I don't care about gambling, but I'm a moral libertarian. Bennett is
> anything but a moral libertarian, and he's aligned politically with
> Bible-thumping scolds who intesnely disapprove of gambling.

That's true. But I suspect this won't hurt him with them. They never thought he was one of them. They thought rather that he supported them and that they were allies in pushing an agenda. Which is still true.

You and Justin and others are right though that harping on it might discredit him with his very different mostly secularized target lecture and reading audience, thus diminishing his influence, and that that would be a good thing. And that if it's dirty pool, it couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

Michael