[lbo-talk] Neoconservatism as identifiable ideology

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun May 4 21:52:37 PDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Grant Lee wrote:

> I just wanted to point out, as an aside, that "neoconservative" is a
> term rarely used outside North America.

We Americans used to say the same thing in reverse about "neoliberalism" 10 years ago. And then things changed.

Personally I think that, as a term, "neoconservative" has a compelling linguistic logic. Because it's not a movement about conserving anything. It's a movement for huge reactionary change. Neo and con capture both sides perfectly. It's new and it's bad.

Michael