[lbo-talk] Mitzna quits as head of Labour -- Analysis: Why Labor rejected Mitzna

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Mon May 5 00:19:01 PDT 2003

"One party member said he felt he was undergoing psychiatric treatment in Mitzna's clinic. "In all, two things interested me," he grumbled. "How he intended to win the elections and what would be my position in the campaign headquarters. Instead, he talked my head off about the territories and the settlements and social divisions. I started looking at my watch until the guy got the hint. And the conversation ended.""

The fact that this unnamed Labour MP could unblinkingly say this without even percieving how vacuous and shallow it makes him look (and by association, the whole of the Labour Party apparatchik), goes to the heart of the dismal political situation in Israel, and further, the reason why Labour will not be gaining any significant portion of the electorate for a long time, in its battle to be more Likud than the Likud (probably forefeiting even more votes, at least in the short-term) .

Bryan