[lbo-talk] Twinklin' Joe

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 10:24:07 PDT 2003

[I missed the great debate. Did Joe Lieberman actually twinkle, as Salon alleges here?]

Democrats square off

And it's Joe Lieberman who stands out in a crowded field without, yet, a breakaway star.

By Jake Tapper

May 4, 2003 | COLUMBIA, S.C. With the sight of that final third star in the sky, signifying the end of the Jewish Sabbath, Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., finally made his way to the University of South Carolina campus Saturday night for the first debate of all Democratic presidential candidates. And even top aides from opposing campaigns acknowledged that he shined more than the others, emerging as the event's twinkling star.

"If he'd done that in 2000 we wouldn't even be here tonight!" a non-Lieberman staffer snarled at a Lieberman spokesman after the debate, referring not just to the disappointing conclusion of the 2000 election but to Lieberman's oft-derided performance opposite Dick Cheney in their one debate face-off. ...

<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2003/05/04/democrats/?ref=http://www.salon.com/well/ad/index3.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus