[lbo-talk] Race

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon May 5 14:36:41 PDT 2003

Justin wrote:

> Apparently we have a disconnect, Miles. i don't think science is a very useful rhetorical tool,
> at least if science is narrowly conceived as biology results. Most people haven't a clue about
> what biologiy results mean, given the dismal state of science education, appeal to science is
> for rhetorical purposes just appeal to Authority!

I have an anecdote: last year, a doctor gave a lecture in one of my classes. He argued that HIV isn't the cause of AIDs. Even though I know next to nothing about science, and presumably the doctor knows plenty, I knew he was wrong. How? Authority. (From what you wrote below, it appears that you may allow for such indirectly justified empirical knowledge.)

-- Luke