[lbo-talk] Race

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon May 5 15:46:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003 14:28:28 -0700 (PDT) andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> writes:

> Apparently we have a disconnect, Miles. i don't think science is a
> very useful rhetorical tool, at least if science is narrowly
> conceived as biology results. Most people haven't a clue about what
> biologiy results mean, given the dismal state of science education,
> appeal to science is for rhetorical purposes just appeal to
> Authority!

Also, when discussing race and science, we might wish to keep in mind, that throughout the 19th century, and well into the 20th, a great many leading scientists took the notion of race seriously as a biological category. It really wasn't until the mid-20th century that there appeared persuasive scientific refutations of the notion of race. Up to that time racists could and did claim the authority of science for their ideas concerning humanity.

> What science is necessary for is not rhetoric, but knowledge. There
> is no other way of attaining reliable empirical knowledge. None.
> Zip. Zero. If people "learn" something by "tradition" for which
> there is no controlled empirical support, no possiibility of
> indeoendent test, or other marks of science, they don't know it.
> They just believe it. If this sounds Western Imperialist,
> ethnocentric. and contemptuous of alternative ways of knowing, you
> betcha booty. Galileo et al stumbled on the right way to find things
> out.

And as you well know people claim that there are all sorts of means for attaining knowledge besides science, like intuition, faith, tradition etc. And there continue to be some quite eminent intellectuals who will defend such claims too. And such non-rationalism or outright irrationalism can certainly also be used to defend racism, as many of the Nazis did, who embraced vulgarized Nietzschean or vulgarized Heideggerian critiques of science. In fact in certain Nazi circles, to be overly respectful of the methods and results of the natural sciences was considered to be symptomatic of Jewish influence.