[lbo-talk] wojtek, americans, etc.

stmcgraw at vt.edu stmcgraw at vt.edu
Mon May 5 16:53:29 PDT 2003

>forgive me if i get the details wrong because i often go a couple days
without
>reading the lbo-talk digests that accumulate in my inbox, but i think
recently some >list members ahve criticized wojtek for so-called "anti-american"
>comments, or something like that. one person even asked him "so what are
you doing >here" and said "america gave you opportunities," which made me think for a second i >was on a sean hannity message board.

Wojtek does not inveigh against america or americans in general but quite explicitly and, unless pressed on this point, almost exclusively against poorer and less educated americans. Although he claims to be a marxist he persists, despite statistical evidence to the contrary

http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0302/2511.html

in a secular calvinist belief that wealth and education reflect the moral superiority of those who possess them,

http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0301/0723.html

believes that the economic exploitation of the working class is sometimes justified as punishment for their supposedly reactionary practices and ideology,

http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0302/2468.html

and, quite irrationally, draws broad conclusions in support of his bigotry from extremely limited and selectively applied "evidence"

http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0302/2468.html