[lbo-talk] Re: Race

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 5 19:29:18 PDT 2003

JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
> 'Black'
> and 'white' U.S. blood supplies were segregated through WWII:

In 1943 (dating based on my image of the room I heard it in) I remember vaguely a radio drama that turned on whether a white father could bring himself to accept a life-saving transfusion for his son from a black donor. I don't remember how the drama turned out. It stuck in my mind enough to be triggered by Jenny's post.

Of course gestures of that sort (the sports writer who said something like "Joe Louis is a credit to his race -- the human race") never did much to stop lynching or get blacks a seat in a restaurant, let alone jobs.

Carrol